| A casual pose showing off his cool factor after his first night in a big boy bed. |
Going to the zoo for an hour helped calm him down and he returned to the house a bit more cheerful. I showed him his bed again, offering to let him eat a cookie and watch "Herbie" on it. That went great! He was jumping up and down, repeatedly saying "car", and seemed thrilled about his new bed. Then I started moving furniture around while he continued sitting on the bed. Bad idea. This started a new wave of erratic behavior. Richard got him out of the room and distracted with a remote control car, but that only helped for a little while. I came in and set up a few videos for him to watch on Youtube, and then came time for our first night of him sleeping in the bed.
We have a regular routine we go through at bedtime, and I think doing everything like usual, with only a different bed (but same mattress, sheets, stuffed animals, etc.), really helped us out. Reagan was reaching for his car bed at the end of our nightly routine! His first night was an amazing success! Since then, he has spent 3 nights and 3 afternoons in his bed (and is currently adding another night onto that track record). I've reminded him each time that he is to stay in his bed, and he has obeyed except for the beginning of his first nap. However, having a two-way monitor fixed that quickly. Just telling him to "get back in bed" over the microphone worked the two times he was out of bed that day.
I am amazed at how successful this change-over has been for us. Since his crib is going to the new baby girl, I thought it was important for us to do the bed switch at this point so he can have time to adjust to one big change before another one arrives. He has done splendidly. We've been blessed with a wonderful first born. Can't wait to see what's in store for us in the next 7 weeks!

No comments:
Post a Comment