Life is full of its ups and downs, but I am quite happy when I look back on what has happened over the past few years... and really have nothing to complain about.
When Richard and I got engaged, it seems like people came out of the woodwork to tell us how "hard" the first year of marriage would be, and that we really needed to make sure we were absolutely certain because it was a very serious decision we were making. I don't mean to discredit their advice. In a world where marriage is no longer held in honor and divorce is prevalent, it is important to make sure you choose your spouse carefully. In our pre-marriage counseling, we talked about different issues that might come up over time... finances, children, spiritual leadership, etc. It was clear we were "on the same page". Even though our personalities are different, we both balance each other out. Sometimes I'm a little too uptight and Richard's a little too relaxed. Sometimes I'm a little too serious and Richard's a little too flippant. The great thing is... we agree on the big things, and don't fret too much when we disagree about the little things (like whether or not it's okay to throw food wrappers and soda cans away in the bathroom trash can). We've never really had a "fight". Simple disagreements that always end in apologies (and GENUINE apologies) because neither one of us likes to see the other one hurting.
With all that being said, we've made it through nearly 3 years of marriage with no trouble. Whew. And guess what? All those things people told us about how much our lives were going to change (for the worse) after having a child... DIDN'T HAPPEN! It seems like those same people who told us how hard marriage was going to be were just as pessimistic about having children. I'm not saying life with a child is always rainbows, unicorns, lollipops and gumdrops. There have been a few sleep-deprived nights, yucky diapers, and scream-filled car rides... but I can't imagine life without my sweet little man in it. And when he started crawling... life didn't stop. Sure, I couldn't leave him on the carpet, run to the bathroom, and come back to find him in the same spot... but I sure have enjoyed watching him learn about the world around him (and getting himself from place to place, so I didn't have to change his location for him). Now that Reagan's walking, we're enjoying seeing the joy on his face (and the awkwardness in his movements). Life is good. :)
Regression is my favorite Christmas present
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment